Daily Dawn Karachi is the oldest and most widely read English language newspaper in Karachi, Pakistan. It was founded in 1941 by Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
Daily Dawn Karachi is Pakistan's oldest and most widely-read English-language newspaper. It was founded in 1941 by Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the founding father of Pakistan. Daily Dawn is one of the country's two largest English-language dailies. It is the flagship of the Dawn Group of Newspapers. Daily Dawn published by Pakistan Herald Publications, which also owns the Herald, a magazine, and the evening paper The Star. Pakistan's newspaper of record, it is considered to be something of a national institution.The Daily Dawn newspaper evolved into a much more moderate and liberal stand over the years. The newspaper has offices in Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad, as well as representatives abroad. As of 2004, it has a weekday circulation of over 138,000. The CEO of Dawn group is Hameed Haroon, and the current editor of Dawn is Abbas Nasir.
The Internet Edition of Dawn, a leading daily English newspaper of Pakistan. www.dawn.com
Founded by Mohammad Ali Jinnah on 26 October 1941 as a mouthpiece for the Muslim LeagueMuslim League
, Dawn was originally a weekly publication, published in DelhiDelhi
, then the capital of British India. Jinnah summed up the paper's purpose when he stated:
"The Dawn will mirror faithfully the views of India's Muslims and the All India Muslim League in all its activities: economic, educational and social and more particularly political, throughout the country fearlessly and independently and while its policy will be, no doubt, mainly to advocate and champion the cause of the Muslims and the policy and programme of the All India Muslim League, it will not neglect the cause and welfare of the peoples of this sub-continent generally".
Dawn became a daily newspaper in October 1942 under the leadership of its first editor, Pothan Joseph. In 1944 Altaf HusainAltaf Husain
took over as the editor and brought nation wide fame to its daily circulation. After the creation of Pakistan, Altaf HusainAltaf Husain
moved the newspaper to Karachi, the capital of the newly formed nation state,under the instruction of Mr.Jinnah, the owner of DAWN in Delhi which was then the official organ of the Pakistan Muslim League.Dawn reflected and espoused the cause of the Muslims of India.It was the sole voice of the Muslims in English language.Altaf Husain, its' editor galvanized the Muslims of India by his powerful inspiring and passionate editorials, which earned him wrath of the entire Hindu leadership of the Congress Party as well as Lord Mountbatten the last Viceroy and Governor General of the British Raj.In early August 1947 some senior DAWN staff led by Mr.Altaf Husain arrived in Karachi to start the publication of DAWN from August 15, 1947. The day after Pakistan gained its independence. Mr. Yusuf HaroonYusuf Haroon
a close confidant of Mr. Mohammad Ali Jinnah was given the task to facilitate the publication of DAWN. The offices of the newspaper was housed in the small premises on the commercially busy and a crowded narrow street then known as South Napier Road. These premises belonged to Mr. Haroon. He was at that time planning to bring out a newspaper called "The Herald". Instead at the bidding of Mr.Jinnah he agreed to publish DAWN at his facilities. DAWN grew strength to strength as a most out spoken publication under the editorship of Altaf Husain. He became a legend both at home and abroad for his fearless opposition to the tyranny and corrupt practices of politicians and military dictators after the independence of Pakistan.. He was forced by President General Ayub Khan to leave his newspaper job to become a cabinet minister in his government. So DAWN said goodbye to Mr. Altaf Husain in 1965. The street where Dawn was first published is now known as Altaf Husain Road. Since then DAWN has prospered and has moved to new and larger premises. DAWN still shines as an icon amongst many other newspapers that are being published today in Pakistan.
Freedom of expression
Dawn has seen a "two-thirds decline" in government spending on advertising, which it relies heavily on for funding. The publisher has accused the government of deliberate measures to put pressure on Dawn.
In addition, Dawn regularly carries syndicated articles from western newspapers like The IndependentThe Independent
, The GuardianThe Guardian
, the Los Angeles TimesLos Angeles Times
and The Washington PostThe Washington Post
In Pakistan Dawn has in-paper magazines such as Sci-tech World, Young WorldYoung World
, "Images", "Books & Authors" etc.
On Sundays, the weekend advertiser carries three sections namely "Ad Buzz", "Career" & "Real Estate".
In the wake of the Kargil WarKargil War
in 1999, the Dawn website was blocked from access within IndiaIndia
by Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited, a government-owned telecommunications company which at the time had monopoly control of the international Internet gateways in India. Media site Rediff elicited that the ban was instigated by the Indian government, and then published detailed instructions as to how one could bypass the filter and view the site.
24-hours News Channel
On Friday, May 25, 2007, DAWN Group of Newspapers launched the test transmission of Dawn NewsDawn News
. It is the first 24-hour English news channel in PakistanPakistan
. The launching ceremony of the channel was inaugurated by President Pervez MusharrafPervez Musharraf
. The channel started full transmission in late July.
SYEDA ZEESHAN FATIMA 10/03/13 06.03.50
BRIEF FOR CINEPLEX/SHOPPING COMPLEX AT PHASE 8 DHA KARACHI AT AMINITY PLOT OF SPORTS COMPLEX RETD GEN EHSN-UL-HAQ,S DAUGHTER AND SON AND HIS FRONT MAN JAMEEL BAIG MATTER IS IN SUPREME COURT BUT CPLA NO 1741/2012 BUT NO PROMPT RESPONSE FROM ANY WHERE MEDIA IS SILENT AT THIS ISSUE LAW IS FOR CIVILIANS ONLY THIS BILLION OF RUPEES LAND WHICH IS ILLEGALY GIVEN TO THEM BY DHA KARACHI
1) Plot # 214 measuring42000 square yards located at corner of Kh e Shaheen and Kh e Tipu Sultan was reserved for Sports Complex in original Master plan of Phase 8 DHA Karachi.
2) It was an amenity plot and was developed as such for two purposes, first DHA Karachi established an early learning Center for Pre School children and second they made Moin Kahn Cricket Academy. Both institutions are functioning. Being a sports complex and a school an area of approximately 9000 square yards was earmarked for parking within the vicinity of Plot # 214.
3) During May 2011, Administrator DHA Karachi Brig Amir Raza Quereshi sub divided Plot #214 and calved out an area of 2800 square yards, naming it as plot # 214 A for establishment of Cineplex/Shopping Complex (a commercial activity). With out going into formalities like permission to change purpose of use of amenity from lessor (MEO), which is mandatory as per mother lease documents.
4) Plot # 214 A was given to M/s Nue Tec Multiplex Entertainment Square Company (Pvt) Limited for establishment of 3xcineplex a shopping mall and a roof top restaurant.
5) No formalities like advertising the venture in news paper or any public offer was carried out by DHA Karachi.
6) As per Record of Mrs. Muniza Mujahid wife of Mr. Syed Mujahid Ali ( Daughter of Mr. Ehsan Ul Haq) and Mr. Owais Ehsan son of Ehsan Ul Haq ( Ex General and JCSC of Pakistan) are Directors of Nue M/s Multiplex Entertainment Square Company (Pvt) Limited and Mr. Miza Mohammed Jamil Baig is Chief Executive (Copy Attached for Reference.
7) An area of 1200 square yards was also calved out from parking to company for construction of basement.Now total area 4000 sqyd.
8) Since the project was given secretly to this company without any public notice the petitioner Mr. Mujahid came to know while passing on Kh e Shaheen and enquiring the purpose of grand building coming up.
9) No public hearing or clearance from any environmental watch dog was obtained as per rules prevailing in the country more so when the upcoming facility was to effect very badly to residents of Creek Vistas, upcoming Creek City Sports Complex, O&A Level School, Early Learning Centre and Masid e Sakina traffic as it is located with in 200 yards distance of all these institutions. Other faculties like Golf Club and schools are located on Kh e Shaheen which is planned to be one way road and likely to create
traffic mess in school timings. Public hearing for the project was therefore mandatory.
10) Mr. Mujahid one of resident filed a petition in the High Court against use of amenity land for commercial purpose however the petition was dismissed being leaches and expenditure incurred by respondent and not on any legal footing.
11) The Petitioner Mr. Mujahid Lodged an Appeal in the honorable Supreme Court of Pakistan, however before the hearing could start Mr. Ehsan Ul Haq father of two directors and Mr. Mirza jamil Baig and Brig Amir Raza Quereshi in connivances of Police got abducted Mr. mujahid and tortured him for with drawl of appeal. He awas paced up from Touheed Commercial for which video footage is available and attached for reference.
12) The individual and his family were harassed and the appeal was withdrawn by him due to fear of Police. But later on he filed an appeal Supreme Court Islamabad Directly another resident of DHA Syeda Zeeshan Fatima w/o S.M.Faisal.Rizvi also filed a petition in supreme court for this issue and so many others but they are under life threat by Gen Ehsan-Ul-Haq and Mr Jameel Baig if some incident happened to this appellant and their family then directly Gen Ehsan-Ul-Haq and Mr Jameel Baig and last Administrator DHA Brig Amir Raza Qureshi Will be responsible because Syeda Zeeshan Fatima Unveiled lot of corruption of DHA in Honorable Sindh High Court and so many sujudice.There are billion of rupees corruption in DHA Karachi but one is taking action against them.
• Legal Points
13) MEO is Lessor of the land and as per Mother lease DHA is no Authority to change the purpose of land. Copy of relevant clause along with Mother Lease place for reference.
14) MEO did not respond to High Court and Honorable Judge gave a decision with out getting point of view of lessor.
15) As per SEPA all such projects require their clearance but the same was not obtained
16) DHA Karachi under the instructions of GHQ has to follow PPRA Rules and regulation for transparency. However in this case no one new regarding the project and land was allotted on a single page application by Brig Amir Raza Quershi.
17) The project is located in high traffic density zone; DHA did not have specific traffic survey to ascertain traffic feasibility.
18) Maximums width of road in the area is 80 ft, however there
Are 10 x schools, 720 apartments of Creek Vistas, Sports Complex, and Golf Club and planned 220 apartments of Creek City in the vicinity of 500 squire yards. Traffic mess to be created in peak hours due to 1000-1200 cars of Cineplex at show start and finish time can be well imagined.
19) Land reserved for amenity can not be changed to commercial. Supreme Court has ruled in case of Karol- Habib Case.
20) As per Executive Board and Governing Body of DHA Karachi decision no amenity plot could be allotted to any individual. The same is ruled in the Mother Lease as it says that DHA will develop amenity plots for planned amenity themselves and not allot it what to talk of its allotment for commercial purpose
Add More Info About Daily Dawn Karachi
Last Updated :Sunday, 7th August 2011, 5:29 pm CEST